Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Musings....




For those of you who know us well, you know how much we enjoy our Friday pajama days.

Our Friday pajama days began upon Xander's birth. Before Xander, Mikaela and I had always spent Fridays in Athens - attending our mom's group, lunching with friends, running errands, and just hanging out.

Upon Xander's birth, we tried including him in our girls day Fridays.....but Xander would have nothing of the long drive to Athens or the outings. After a few attempts, we declared Fridays ......Pajama Day!

We held onto to our Friday pajama days until last year, when Mikaela entered kindergarten and they dared to hold school on Fridays.......this year upon her entry into big school, Xander and I have re-established pajama days. We run her to school...in our pjs.....and come home to play and enjoy the rest of the day.

As I type today, I am realizing that Xander and I have only a few short months left of pajama days...as he too will go off to kindergarten in the fall, and they will insist on him coming on Fridays.

Then, I realize that I am always focusing on the "lasts" - the last time that Mikaela was in preschool (and the very emotional graduation), the last time they each nursed, Xander's impending last pajama day friday..........the lasts. I realize that with each exciting first, there will also become a bitter sweet last.

And so, just for today, I am going to be grateful for the "nows"

Now,

As I drop Mikaela off in carpool, she lets me hug and kiss all over her, and lets us all yell "we love you" out the car door as she bounces off to first grade. Now, she insists we do our exchange daily (Me: I love you, Her: I love you too, Me: Beeches to sneeches, and tickles to giggles, Her: Have a good day, the whole van: I love you, have a good day).....

Now, she wants me to come to her class each week to read and volunteer and have lunch. Now, she begs me to attend all parties (which I do willingly)

Now, she is overjoyed at the sight of Tommy.....no one could love him more she assures us....

Now, she reads voariciously - everything that we check out, purchase, and borrow. Now, she sneaks to stay up late to finish that one last chapter....

Now, she likes us.....

Xander crawls into our bed in the morning, and for at least five minutes he is as sweet and snuggly as an infant, hugs and kisses, I love you's, sharing of dreams, and innocent love. Now, he needs me to physically reassure him of our connection each morning to begin his day..... now, he lets me.

Now, he is as imaginative and creative as I could have ever wished for him to be - dressed in full batman gear as I type, creating drama and mayhem to protect me from.

Now, he is excited about the new opportunities and adventures - about tball, about school, about hanging out with Tommy at middle school,

Now, he loves us unconditionally - despire our fumblings at parenting, he loves us - and tell us so often!

Now, I am blessed with the parenting of those two beautiful children being my main job.......loving them, caring for them, enjoying them, being blessed by them........

(edited to add a quote Uncle Bob shared with me: "Lasts are like an oak seed growing into a tree with many first branches all from that seed you originally planted. ")

No comments: