Saturday, January 2, 2010

Dear Mikaela,

Dear Mikaela,

As usual when I sit down to write to you each year, I am suddenly at a loss for words. You leave me speechless. You continue to be such an amazing blessing to me.
This year has been full of challenges and changes for the both of us. In January, you began the year as a first grader at Walnut Grove Elementary. Your teacher, Mrs. Herrick, returned from having her baby. You had many great experiences at school. You enjoyed having best friends to play with on the playground - Maggie and Brittany especially. My heart continued to break for you - as you and I both still cried most days in carpool. "Big school" proved to still be a challenge for us both. Never had you and I been apart so much in so many ways. Xman and I loved coming to have lunch with you.



You are so much fun to be around. This year you spent most of the year toothless! Your gappy grin made daddy and I both smile every time we saw you. You love to play games. Twister is your favorite - and the bone twister from Halloween was even better! You got a DSI (nintendo hand held video game) for your birthday - and now, just like daddy, you love it! Your favorite game changes weekly - but the American girl games, fashion games, and logic games are at the top of your list.
You and Bubbe are inseparable. You love each other so much. This year you grew into your role as a somewhat bossy older sister -but most of the time, Bubbe doesn't mind. You and Xander make up your own games all the time. You also are always creating a new show for us to watch. You both love to perform. You sing, dance, tell stories, make up skits. You are so creative!

I can remember the first time I held you. You weren't even a full minute old when the doctor handed you to me to snuggle. You were a snuggler from the get go! Everyone loves that about you - mommy, daddy, Xander - even Nana and Papa!


This year we celebrated your 7th birthday - you are growing up too fast for me! You and I spent days with scrapbook supplies creating the invitations to your fashion diva party. You knew exactly what you wanted to do, how you wanted to decorate. You have such a keen sense of fashion. Your style is uniquely yours. You love to put on make up, play dress up, draw fashion scenes and make your own fashion accessories.




I am so proud of the young lady that you are growing into. Every day you inspire me to be a better mom - to model for you the type of woman I want you to grow up to be. What an amazing responsibility - and gift! This year you have really focused on improving your manners. It is such a delight to hear that you always respond with "yes mam" or "no sir" when we hear you talking with adults. I know that the level of respect that you show others will be returned to you.

In addition to becoming your teacher this year when we transitioned you in July from public school to homeschool, I am honored to also be your girl scout leader for the 3rd year! We have such a good time. You look forward to girl scouts every week - and love when I let you in on the activities ahead of time:).
I will always cherish the trips that we take. This year's highlight was a trip to Disney World in October for Halloween. One of your favorite moments was getting to meet Princess Tiana from the brand new (not been seen by anyone yet) movie - The Princess and the Frog. Our trip to disney was full of magical moments.
You carefully wrote your letter to Santa this year - deciding just what you REALLY wanted. A sewing kit was the first, and only item on your list. I can't wait for us to learn to sew together. You have carefully organized all your sewing supplies into your sewing box. You and I have spent much time looking at each thing. You are confident that you can teach even me - and I am sure you can.
I am reminded daily that Psalm 127:3 shares that:
Children are a blessing and a gift from the LORD.

I pray for you every day - for your spiritual, physical and academic growth, for God's blessing on our time together, and a prayer of thankfulness that God gave me you. To enjoy, to love, to teach, to be silly with, to jump high on the trampoline with, to get messy doing crafts with, to rediscover a good book reading with, to remember that pillows and blankets are for tent building to, to remind me that rain feels amazing when dropping on your tongue, to teach me how to wear make up, to show me blindness to diversity, to snuggle on the couch with, and to keep me thinking.

Mikaela Grace, I love you beeches to sneeches, tickles to giggles.
Always and forever.

No comments: