Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Graduation Recognition at First Baptist Loganville





So, I will confess - I began crying the moment the doors of the sanctuary opened and the Pomp and Circumstance song began.

I don't know why I have struggled so with Mikaela graduating from kindergarten.


Perhaps, to me, it represents an end of many things. An end of me being the person who spends the most time with her (kindergarten was only four hours a day, four days a week).

An end to our time at home together.

An end to my being able to shelter her and assure that her teachers, her classmates and her school are exactly what I want for her.

An end to afternoons rests with me - at home.

An end to leisurely mornings - plenty of play time, hot breakfasts together and snuggling as long as we please (kindergarten didn't start until 9:30).

As I put my tissues away, for each time I cry over this event in our life, I reminded that I am to be thankful to God for giving me these beautiful six years to have her home with me. I am grateful that we have never been apart more than four hours regularly. I am grateful that I have been the one who got to watch all her firsts and reveal in opportunity that she chose to learn something new.

For this, is the beginning of many times that she will grow more independent of me.

In the fall, she will head off to first grade (yes, I finally registered her!). I will volunteer, I will attend anything they will let me, but I will also let go. I will drop her off knowing that she will be fine.

Just one more tissue please.

1 comment:

Liz Giddens said...

I don't even want to think about Wryeton going to big kid school. Before you know it, both kids will be graduating from high school!