Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Pink Pig










One of the thrills of becoming a parent is introducing your children to traditions from your childhood. I can remember my mother taking me as a little girl to the BIG mall to ride the pink pig.

While the pink pig of my youth no longer exists (think outdoors, roller coaster ride), Macy's at Lenox Mall still continues the tradition of the pepto bismol pink pig ride (think under a big tent, pink train on tracks).

If you don't know about the story of Priscilla Pig (whose large pink stuffed animal version I still own), take a minute and check her out:

http://www1.macys.com/campaign/pinkpig/history.jsp

My mom and I loaded up all four (my two and my other two!) and headed to Lenox on a Friday morning. The kids were so excited! A field trip - a train ride - mall chicken nuggets! What better things could there be?

I had forgotten how fabulous Lenox looks during the holidays. The Great Tree standing above Macy's (look at the tree they all shouted as we pulled into the parking deck), the fancy stores, the beautiful decorations, the fancy beautiful people shopping! I really should do something about my wardrobe:).

We got in line for the pink pig and bought our tickets. We had such a great ride, we went twice!

The girls loved the storybook pictures we saw as rode the train, the pink tunnel that we got to go through, and getting to ride in the very first seat.

The boys loved riding the train - they laughed, they waved, they pointed.

After our second trip (fourth time around total), we headed to the gift shop. I had told each of them that they could pick out an ornament to take home. Quickly the girls chose Priscilla Pigs in dresses, while the boys insisted on the pig shaped train ornaments.

We then headed to the food court. I love the market at Lenox - the food court is settled at the very bottom of the mall - all by itself. Very cool - unless you have a sit and stand stroller and have to take two seperate elevators to get there! Fortunately for me, my little people think elevators with windows are as good as a trip to the zoo.

We had chicken nuggets, fries and sprite for lunch. And ice cream.

We waved to Santa - we voted that we had already seen and talked to him so we would let the other kids have a turn today.

Loaded up in the mini van and said good-bye to the pink pig.

Definitely a tradition we will continue!


No comments: