Sunday, December 6, 2009

Pickles are more important than girls. No girls just in case


Tommy and Mikaela have headed off to a birthday party for the afternoon, so it was just Xman and I on the way home from church.

This is the conversation we had:

Me: "Hey Xman - today in church we talked about how God has a special plan for everyone - even you! Isn't that cool? What do you think God's plan for you might be?"

X: "I think God wants me to be a trash man. It is sort of dangerous - you have to ride on the back of a truck. God is making me braver. Then I will get to get on and off the back of the truck to get the trash."

Me: "Okay."

X: "But, I am not going to get married. I'm going to be a lonely man on purpose."

Me: "Why?" (readers - Xman and I have had this discussion many times - I already know where it is going to go, but it is fun so we do it again!)

X: "MOM - Girls do not like the smell of pickle juice. I am going to have lots of pickles in my house when I grow up. So, I am not going to have any girls."

Me: "Xman, just because mommy and sissy don't like pickles doesn't mean that there isn't a girl out there who wouldn't love to live in a house of pickles."

X: " Pickles are more important than girls. No girls just in case."

As all conversations with Xman go - we then weaved to how he thinks he wants to be a lonely man like Santa Claus. Cause in some movies he is married, but others he is not. How cool would it be to live at the North Pole with all those toys? Best to not be married in case you aren't supposed to be married to be Santa.

As I am having this conversation with Xman, I was thinking how each of these conversations and moments we spend together mold him (and I was thinking that Tommy and I really have to get on praying about God's plan for him - while I am fine if God wants him to be a trash man, let's just be sure).

Our preacher shared this morning four things that we need to focus on to understand God's plan for our children (Luke Chapter 1, 13 - 80).

1 - Knowing God's plan for own life,and being responsible to it
2 - Children are not born to us alone - not only to be a blessing to us, but others as well
3 - We must not distract our children by our wishes for them, we must honor the great thing God wants to do in them
4 - We must allow God to use circumstances around our children to clarify their purposes

There were two things mentioned today that got me thinking - Proverbs 20:11 - the contemporary version says:

The good or bad

that children do

shows what they are like.


It reminded me of the article that I read this week on "helicopter parenting" - essentially how we must let go of our kids so they can fulfill God's purpose for them meshes with the idea that we must also let go of our kids so that they may learn and grow from conflict. We have all learned that God grows us in times of struggle.

The other thing that struck me this morning was Proverbs 22: 6

Teach your children

right from wrong,

and when they are grown

they will still do right.


On my nightstand currently is a book titled Help for the Harried Homeschooler. In it, the author spends an entire chapter on the need for putting your child's character above all else. I have been having some struggles with the children in the last week or so. I have been praying for guidance with the sibling fighting, the not listening the first time I ask something of them, the selfish behaviors that I have observed. I am (of course) correcting these behaviors, discussing these behaviors - but I am also busy, trying to teach the children, keep some semblance of order in our home, and prepare us for the busy holiday season.

The author in my book suggests that homeschooling parents pause schooling (or slow down) until you have developed and addressed character traits. The thought being that you can not effectively teach a child who is not obedient. Or, the idea that you place your child's character education higher than all else.

I am a slow listener - and after the sermon this morning, I am sure that I have now heard God's answer to my prayers. I am supposed to slow down all other areas of our life until I have addressed these behaviors, these elements of conduct, that I see in my otherwise joyful and wonderful children.

For it is my responsibility to train my children - one on one, investing time in their values.

No comments: