Sunday, January 4, 2009

Dear Mikaela Grace,

Dear Mikaela Grace, January 1, 2009


We have now entered 2009, leaving behind all measurable characteristics of 2008. And while our calendars and clocks are now venturing into a new year, the memories from 2008 are still, and will always, remain vivid in my mind.


Let’s begin with your accomplishment that reigns supreme in my mind-your reading and writing skills. I am so very happy that you love to read like your mother and me. I can’t believe how quickly you seemed to have grasped the art of stories. You have a real grasp for how characters are involved with the plot. You are even getting to be a very good story teller of your own. When I tuck you in at night, we have discussions on how the protagonist needs a better challenge in the plot. I love these talks with you.


While your mother is an avid reader, she is most proud of your accomplishments in math. Even Mrs. Herrick, your first grade teacher, has commented on how you can easily understand new mathematical concepts. This usually transpires into the games you play. You will develop a show and then calculate how many tickets you need to sell and at what price people will pay. You are really using your head.


I have also enjoyed all of the fun games we’ve played over the last year. You became very interested in checkers for a time, and we’ve just begun playing Clue and Battleship. I enjoy this time together as well because we can just hang-out and talk.


Let us not forget how quickly you are growing up. Your favorite thing to do is put on make-up and fancy clothes. You always look so sophisticated with your nails done and your lip gloss, especially now that your ears are pierced. This will come in handy as you pursue your chosen career path of Rock-Star/Teacher/Writer.

We’ve had such a wonderful 2008 together, and I can’t wait to see what 2009 will bring us.

I love you,

Daddy

No comments: